The History of the Cotillion Club of San Diego
... Ballroom Dancing Since 1934 ...
In November of 1934, the six couples comprising the Mission Hills Bridge Club were approached by one of their members, H. Wilton Williams, with the idea of forming a dance club. Each couple was asked to select six other couples who were congenial and who liked to dance.
The purpose of the club was to furnish its members with a few hours of relaxation once a month, dancing to good music among friends. In March of 1935, officers were elected and the name of Cotillion Club of San Diego selected. First officers were Wilton Williams, President; Robert Frazee, Vice-President; Mrs. Richard Winkler, Secretary; and Earl Gustafson, Treasurer.
The first four months were so successful, the Cotillion Club of San Diego became a permanent organization and the original President was reelected for four consecutive years.
The membership grew from the forty charter couples to more than one hundred couples at times. Through the years, the Cotillion Club of San Diego has kept abreast of changing times and conditions without losing sight of its original elements: a group which is congenial and likes to dance to good music.
In 2014, the Cotillion Club of San Diego merged with the Qui Vive Dance Club which was founded in San Diego in 1938 and had been in continuous operation until 2014. The similarities of purpose and operation of the two clubs prompted the merger which insures continuation of their commons goals.
Though the intimacy of its early years has changed, Cotillion Club of San Diego's friendly fellowship continues to make its membership valued by all.